Friday, May 7, 2010

Catch Up

It's been ages since I've written.

A few weeks back, I returned to Melbourne after a successful, if not drawn out, 777 modification. The plane is flying now, so I guess I can show pictures of the final product. I'm sure it's on Flyertalk anyway.




As unhappy as I was during the whole process, I did have a moment at the end, when it was quiet on the plane, and I was alone, that I could look around and admit to myself that the end product looked pretty damn good. So I guess that's something.

Life has been returning to normal in Melbourne. I had missed being here more than I realized. The people here are good, and it's a nice place to be. And it's always good to be at home.

I seem to have missed a good bit of fall, and I certainly missed a number of festivals that I had wanted to attend, so that's a bummer. The weather has been reasonably good though, at least temperature wise. It's been a little wet, but that's to be expected.

It has been a shock though, to come back to Australian beer prices.

One thing that I did neglect to blog about while I was away were two weddings. The first was that of our friends Erin and Adrian. They got married in Lihue, HI, and I was lucky enough to be able to break free from work for a few days to meet Shannon and attend. By that point, it had been nearly eight weeks since I had seen Shannon, so I was thrilled to make it (despite a little effort making flights).

We linked up with the wedding party on Friday at Kapu Falls. It's a jump point, and while most people opted to just jump off the falls or the rope swing, the real locals showed that it's best to do flips out of trees.


After managing to shut down the local's watering hole Friday night with some old friends, we needed a pretty mellow time before the wedding, so we went to a distant beach on the way to the Kauai Coffee Company. It was a nice day, and Alamo had upgraded us for free to a tank (Sebring convertible) so we did some cruising with the top down.


One wedding, one reception, and some early flights for both of us the next day. Again, I got slightly creative going back to SF.

Wedding number two was way back in Raleigh, for our friends Lisa and John. Sadly, Shannon couldn't attend this one. I was particularly honored to be there, as John had asked me to be his best man. We kept the hijinks to a reasonable level before the wedding (mild hangovers), got him to the church on time, and all was well. And they couldn't have had a better weekend, weather wise. Aside from the pollen, it was a really beautiful day.

So yeah, that's pretty much the recap. Hopefully from here, posting will be more routine.

No comments: