Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Gig Review - Death Cab for Cutie, The Forum, Melbourne

Last night, Shannon and I went to the first of two back to back Death Cab for Cutie Shows at The Forum here in Melbourne. It was my first time seeing the band, and overall I was impressed. A few comments:
-The band rocks a lot harder live than in studio, but in a good way.
-The band didn't waste a lot of time jabbering between songs (in fact, we didn't hear a break until after about number four), so the set list was fairly long (see below).
-The Forum, as you might guess from the name, has a bit of a Roman theme. In fact, the inside looks a bit like The Venetian, in Las Hell. This didn't seem to help out the acoustics, as there was a bit of reverb off of the statue's fig leaf.
-A Death Cab concert in Melbourne (and probably everywhere) is an emo kid magnet. I think I had the loosest jeans at the gig.
-Ben Gibbard grew out his hair, and looks far less emo.
-Chris Walla is clearly the driving force in the band. Also, he is tall, ugly, and based on what he did to that poor keyboard, has some anger issues.
-Nicholas Harmer looks like Jim Morrison back when he had a beard (No, not dead in Paris Jim Morrison). I guess we'll see who reads this thing now... The big difference is that Nicholas jams on the bass like a man possessed, and Jim is super chill.
-Jason McGerr is a good drummer. I'm not sure what else to say about him. He's the most aerodynamic?
-Three of the four musicians showed that they can play at least two instruments. Always impressive, since I can play exactly zero.

The set list was solid, the band sounded pretty tight, and the beer wasn't as horribly expensive as one might have imagined at a concert. All in all, I'd go see them again, and I recommend you do as well.

Death Cab for Cutie Setlist Forum Theatre, Melbourne, Australia 2009

No comments: