Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pinnacles

Quite a while ago now, Shannon and I took a little overnight backpacking trip to the Pinnacles over on the Coramandel Peninsula. It was our first time staying in a DOC hut, and naturally, we stayed at the largest one in the country.

Despite being fully booked in the middle of winter, half by a school group (when did my high school take me out in the woods like that??), it was a pretty good experience, and we met some cool folks.

The weather was variable (being mid-winter), but we managed to have a dry hike up to the hut, and a staggeringly clear view at the top of the Pinnacles, albeit, quiet windy.

The photos below show some of the way up, including one of the many swing bridges, a quick shot of the top of the hut (and how large it is), and the Pinnacles themselves. No view from the top, because my camera battery died after giving me quite an ample warning. Special note in the last shot of the stairs going to the top.








No comments: