Sunday, December 12, 2010

Change

Today was a pretty big day. Today, I quit my job.

Some folks are aware that it's been in the works, but for some, it may be news. I've accepted a job with Altitude Aerospace Interiors in Auckland, New Zealand. Shannon and I are in the process of getting our lives together to make the move to Auckland. Obviously, this is a pretty substantial change.

This was also a really difficult decision. In all reality, United has been very good to me. I've learned a lot and work with really good people. I have no complaints. In the end, I wanted to try to find a new challenge, and I wanted to remove some of the uncertainty in my job situation that I feel currently exists. I hope it was a good decision. It did not come lightly.

I finally got notice that my visa had been approved on Friday. This has been a long time coming. It's much more time consuming to get a visa in NZ than in Australia for over two years. There are full medical exams and police certificates that are challenging to get. There is a longer wait (or at least a variable one) with Immigration NZ. It's taken a full quarter to get it all lined up.

I'm excited and nervous. 2011 is going to be an interesting year. The movers come Thursday. That should be interesting too. Oh, and down here, movers are called removalists. Odd.

I guess the next question is - when will we have visitors?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! (I think). I'm not sure if I'll be the first to visit, but NZ has been on my list for a long time. hopefully it won't be too long. - Eric

Unknown said...

Congratulations! (I think). I'm not sure if I'll be the first to visit, but NZ has been on my list for a long time. hopefully it won't be too long. - Eric